14.5.15

Jinguli x Yacht 21: Samsui Goes To Work


Wardrobe by YACHT 21

Art direction: Jaren Ho
Design: Jasmine Huang
Photography: Pang Yun Jing
Hair & makeup: Hong Ling Lim
Model: Uli Chan

History in making: Jing & I's first formal meeting with Yacht 21 #thisisbusiness #workingwomen

About two months ago, Singapore fashion label Yacht 21 contacted me to ask if I was interested to be the face of their capsule collection, which will be launched in Tangs in conjunction with Singapore's 50th birthday and Singapore Fashion Week. 

Sketches by designer Jasmine Huang

During our first formal meeting, I was immediately attracted to the idea of the Samsui woman. Samsui women, also known as “红头巾” were women labourers in construction jobs. They were mainly Chinese immigrants who came to Singapore between the 1920s to 1940s in search of a better future. Their signature red headwear served as a functional and safety garment, protecting them from the harsh sunlight and accidents at construction sites. There is no better time to pay tribute to the hands that built this country.

Inspired by the resilience and strength of Samsui women, Samsui Goes To Work is a capsule collection made in Yacht 21's signature colour palette and modern boxy tailoring. There are details that cannot go unnoticed, such as the sailor's knot and red thread. The design elements, subtle yet defining, makes the garments extra special in celebrating Singapore's heritage.



Working with new people is really an underrated challenge when it comes to photoshoots. Luckily for me, the entire shoot only felt like fun because Jing is an amazing photographer for me and I can always trust my face to Hong Lim; both talented individuals whom I have worked on multiple accounts. It makes a whole world of difference when you can trust your team 100 percent.


Our morning shoot attracted a fair amount of onlookers. Some had mistaken us as TV production crew. Shooting in a bustling city area like Bugis was quite an experience for me.


I forgot to mention how limited of a space we were working with. The construction site area was a small road stretching no more than 150 metres, with constant traffic and big trucks. Jing surprises me every time because she makes miracles happen. Seven outfits on the same road completed in one morning? Only possible with this girl. 


This was Jing and I's very first "big" project and a milestone I'll always remember. I would not have enjoyed making lookbooks till this day if I hadn't met Jing about two years ago at our previous workplace. The launch event at Tangs Orchard was fun, but beyond the hype, I know it in my heart that this is a project I will feel proud of in years to come.

Sweet Drug top, Yacht 21 Samsui Goes to Work culottes, Bass by Rachel Antonoff oxfords

Ending this post with my personal favourite piece from the collection – the perfect pair of denim culottes I have been searching for. I love it because it fits me exactly how I want it, neither too long nor short, just in length for that 60s schoolgirl silhouette.

Samsui Goes To Work by Yacht 21 is exclusively retailed at Tangs Orchard and Tangs Vivocity from May to July 2015.

#samsuigoestowork #yacht21 #sgfw #sg50